12th May 2020 | Article
Self Massage for Lymphoedema
Manual Lymphatic Drainage therapist Julia Oji says: “If you suffer with lymphoedema and are finding your swelling has been worse without access to MLD treatment, try some self-help lymph massage techniques to get the fluid moving (see links below). Deep breathing exercises before and after the massage can help lymph drainage too. Use the following simple exercise:
- Sit upright in a comfortable chair, or lie on your bed with your knees slightly bent.
- Rest your hands on your ribs.
- Take slow, deep breaths to relax.
- As you breathe in, move the air down to your tummy (abdomen). You will feel your tummy rising under your hands.
- Breathe out slowly by sighing the air out. While breathing out, let your abdomen relax inwards again.
- Do the deep breathing exercise five times.
- Have a short rest before getting up, to avoid feeling dizzy.
Self-massage steps for leg lymphoedema:
Self-massage steps for arm lymphoedema:
Any queries or concerns please contact Julia directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive special offers, therapy news, health tips and more…